When to Get a Logo
Logos should be collected for all stations, programs and hosts. When adding or updating a station or program, look for the most current, large logo and submit it to the Station via RadioMill’s Logo Importer.
Logos may change often, based on the whim of stations, program directors and hosts. Refer to the stations Web Site home page, Facebook, Twitter and wikipedia for the latest logo.
Logos submitted to RadioMill must be in bitmap image format, such as jpg, png or gif, (vector graphics such as eps, ps or ai files may be submitted to email@example.com to be converted to bitmap image). Do not modify the company’s logo, except to crop the logo in a manner that reduces excessive white space around the logo, removes extraneous elements around the edges such as slogan text when the text exceeds the square/round shape of the logo, make the background color transparent if possible. Do not change the colors, add shadow drop, or attempt to enlarge or shrink the logo.
What is a Good Logo for TuneIn
TuneIn displays logos on a variety of devices, from small screen to large screen. Logos should be the largest file size available, clear, simple, have sharp edges, be square, round or slightly rectangle. Collect the largest version you can find, typically at least 200×200 pixels, smaller logos are not often useable since they would be too small to be re-sized and be recognizable.
What is a Bad Logo for TuneIn?
A logo that is too small, unreadable and poorly shaped is not a good example. Avoid inputting a long rectangle bar or long line of graphic text, (often found on the web) which would be hard to read on small screens. Users will be using TuneIn on phones, iPads, and Google TV among other tools with large screens, consider a large simple logo with a transparent background color as the best example.
Too small, unreadable, no station identity.
Shape is long and rectangular and when sized down it’s hard to read.
Collect the logo URL by right clicking the logo and select copy image URL to your buffer.
If the logo is only available as part of a background image or a flash app, and you can’t find a better logo image on the station/program website or via Google Images:
Use screen capture tools to capture a web page, on Windows use [PrtSc] button to copy to your buffer, on Mac use [command+shift+3] to capture an image which will appear on the desktop.
- Take a screen capture.
- Crop the screen capture to the logo only.
- Save the logo as a PNG. DO NOT RESIZE.
- Crop the logo using a simple graphic tool. On Windows use Paint from the Accessories folder. On Mac use Grab from Utilities folder [command+shift+A] to drag and select a portion of an image.
- Save the cropped image to your desktop or folder.
How to Update a Station Logo into RadioMill’s Logo Importer
- Open a RadioMill station page, scroll down to view the Logo field. Note the default name for no logo is s0.png, the default name for a unique station logo is the station_id with the prefix s and the extension .png for example, s12345.png for a station with the id 12345.
- Click the link next the logo field, (hat icon) to open the Logo Importer
Uploading a Logo
Two option exist to enter the logo, either browse to your computer desktop, or paste the image URL.
If the logo is available as an image file on a Web Site:
- Find the URL of the logo image.
- Paste the URL into the logo upload form. Click “Upload.”
- Optional: Apply any needed crop settings and click the crop button.
- Click “Use Now” to submit the logo.
- You are done. Please do not edit the logo field on station/program.
If the logo is available as an image file on your computer:
- Upload the PNG using the Logo Importer Choose File option to browse your desktop and locate and select the logo.
- Click Upload option in the Logo Importer.
- Click “Use Now” to submit the logo.
- If you do not want to use the Logo choose Discard.
- You are done. Please do not edit the logo field on station/program, the logo will be processed and become associated with the Station, Program or Host.
The image will be processed and is now associated with the station or program. It takes up to 2 hours for the image to be processed and become live on TuneIn. It may take up to 24 hours for the image to be propagated across the Web. Finally a logo review occurs from within the logo improter by a qualified graphic design specialist, who may improve upon the logo, approve it or reject the logo.
Save often while updating station fields in combination with logo updates. After updating the image in the Logo Importer, RadioMill will process the image and eventually overwrite the current logo associated with the station or program default file name. After it does, you may no longer have a valid RadioMill session and will not be able to make further updates until you reopen/reload the Station or Program page in RadioMill. At some point, after updating the Logo image, typically 5-20 minutes later, attempting to edit and save on the page will generate an error, you will lose unsaved entries and be required to reopen/reload the station or program.
Radio Mill Visual Crop Tool
The logo upload screen displays a ‘preview’ of the actual uploaded image (max 3000px width or height). Clicking on the Master Image will activate the visual crop tool.You can move and size the crop box to select the portion of the image that you want to crop. Crop close to reduce whitespace outside of the logo. The crop fields at the bottom of the tool can be used to fine tune the crop. Click “Crop” to crop the image. The “Reset” button undoes any cropping.
You shouldn’t need to use the visual crop tool very often. It should only be used when there is excessive empty space padding on the logo image. A very small amount of padding is OK; Be careful not to crop the image too tight, do not clip the edge of the graphic. Be sure to leave the space balanced around the logo. Also note: the visual crop tool is working off a scaled version of the original so it will not be super precise.
All logos added will kept in the original size within the archive associated with a Station or Program, it’s possible to open up the Logo tool and scroll down to the past images in the archive, select them and re-upload them to revert back to a previous logo.
Sports Team Logos
- Each team has a genre. Sports team logos are inherited from the Genre logo.
- Sports game programs have two genres: the first is the home team; the second is the visitor. This is used to show the game logos.
Default Logo Names
- The default logo name for stations is s0.png. p0.png is used for programs. g0.png is used for genres.
Logo Detail Screen
The logo detail screen (ex: http://radiotime.com/RadioMill/LogoDetailMill.aspx?logoKey=s22336) displays:
- the live JPGs, PNGs and/or GIFs being displayed through RadioTime
- images in the upload queue
- images in the artist archive
- images in the upload archive
The “re-upload feature” brings you back to the upload screen with the selected logo so that you can re-crop and submit an image. Note: The re-upload feature will help with older master logos where the crop settings weren’t maintained and need to be reapplied.
The logo detail screen also shows any logo in the logo queue. If a logo is in the queue, you shouldn’t use the revert feature from this screen. Instead use the revert feature from the logo queue.
This feature may be restricted to administrators.
- On the program page, click the logo in the upper left corner.
- Click on the logos that you want to revert to. They will be highlight with a yellow background.
- Click the revert button. This will create a new entry in the upload archive with your selected logos. If you didn’t select a logo for each logo size, it will use the currently live version of that logo.
The changes won’t show up right away. You’ll have to wait for the logo importer to run and process the logos before the live logos actually get updated.
They won’t show up in the upload queue again, but you can tell if someone reverted a logo by checking the revision history: